Opening Summer 2017, Chicago, Il
Through crating, Healing Hands Studio will provide a space of wellness that nurtures the human spirit, and overall health and well being. Research continues to show that knitting, as well as, other crafts can be used as a tool for wellness. A ground breaking study published in the British Journal of Occupational Therapy concluded, "Engaging in frequent knitting has the potential to induce feelings of calm and relaxation and to raise ones mood." When we consider the mind/body connection to wellness, reducing stress is important to help maintain ones overall health.
Often times, women are the care givers of their family and friends,
Managing one health can take a toll on ones mind, body and spirit. Combine these issues with shame around ones health, especially health issues where there is stigma, such as HIV, Depression and Breast Cancer, a woman can become pretty isolated. Healing Hands Studio, will create a community where there is no shame whether the crises is a bump in the road or long term. Even those with support systems need a support system of like minded people.
Research has shown that knitting can help one to develop positive social engagements, whereas having a sense of belonging to something larger than ones self. Also, the finish product that comes from knitting can increase one's sense of worth and accomplishment.
There are countless Knitter's stories of how the practice became a tool for wellness, from addiction to cancer. Healing Hands Studio wants to help create more stories of wellness and healing.
Rae Lewis-Thornton will incorporate her seminary training, her knowledge of living with chronic health, both HIV and Depression, her skills in Knitting, Crocheting and Beading to create a space that will nature the human spirit for women living with chronic health issues.
Healing Hands Studio will focus on therapeutic knitting and crocheting that shifts the mind from the end product to the flow of the movement. We will utilize Betsan Corkhill's, (world renowned expert) methodology and research in Therapeutic Knitting.
- The Healing Hands program welcomes any women with a chronic health related issues. (minimum time registration fee.)
- Only staff will be aware of any persons health condition and we will wholeheartedly respect the privacy of each client.
- Upon entering the program a Welcome Gift Bag will be provided to each client for the craft of choice
- Knit, Crochet and Beading Classes
- Shared Social Enterprise for the women who complete the classes in her craft of choice and volunteer at the studio 6 hours a week (separate from drop-in)
- Weekly Knitting and Crochet Circle
- Group Projects
- Weekly Drop-In's for individual Knitting and Crochet
- Weekly Beading Group and Drop-In's
- Craft Library
- Wellness Library
- Wellness Lectures
- We are seeking volunteers in the discipline of *Knitting, *Crocheting and *Beading.
- Support in the day to day operation
- Knitting Needles and other Knitting Paraphernalia
- Crochet Hooks and other Crocheting Paraphernalia
- Beads and Beading Tools
- Knitting and Crocheting Magazines and Books
- Wellness Books
- Mindfulness Books
- Office Supplies
- House Keeping Supplies
- Can be donated on the front page of this website. Please indicate it is for Healing Hands
- Mailed to Rae Lewis-Thornton 47 West Division, Chicago, IL 60610
*Note We are in the process of applying for our 501 (c3) Status
Founder and Managing Director
Rae is a 14 year knitter. She is currently working on her certification as a knitting instructor with the National Craft Council. She plans to complete certification prior to opening Healing Hands. She launched RLT Collection, a line of handmade accessories, which include, knit and crochet and beading over 8 years ago. Starting with bracelets, she added other handmade jewelry over the years. In 2016, Rae launched her line of hand knitted and crochet accessories to RLT Collection.
As well as, countless newspapers across the country such as the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune Nightline has featured Rae's life and work numerous time. She has also appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show, CNN, Huffington Post Live, HLN News, BET News, the Montel Williams Show. She received an Emmy Award for "Outstanding Feature Series in Hard News," for a series of ongoing first person news reports on her life, "Living With AIDS,"for CBS-Chicago.
Rae currently blogs on HIV and Wellness for Black Doctors. Org as well as her blog Diva Living With AIDS, which is syndicated on Poz.Com and the Body.Com.
Healing Hands. She spends most days, knitting and working on her dream of opening Healing Hands.
While the official date has not been set, we plan to open summer 2017. We our currently looking for space.
If you would like to donate knitting, crochet or beading supplies to Healing Hands, our mailing address is Rae Lewis-Thornton, 47 West Division, #412, Chicago, Illinois, 60610. You may e-mail me at email@example.com. for any questions. Our Instagram account is @healinghands.rlt We will be chronicling this journey on our instastory on Instagram. We welcome your input.
*Note: We are in the process of applying for our 501c3 status.
Note: This is a temporary web page for Healing Hands. We are currently in web development.