The Jackson's only had one car and Rev. Jackson would go get a new one every two years and it would always be the same Buick. We cracked up one year when he came home with a different color of the same car. Us young folks would laugh and laugh, thinking he was way old fashion.
Well, call it buppyism. By the time I was 32, I was driving a BMW, the ultimate in the statement car. And I rationalized it in spite of what I felt was right by saying, "Germans makes the best cars." When asked, I would mumble, "American technology needs to catch up with the rest of the world."
|Grandmama had one just like this!|
Somewhere between one of my BMW's I started to take notice. My last car was a Jaguar the once British, now American made vehicle. But honestly, I never really paid serious attention to GMC/Chevy until recently.
|Connie in the all black... BBSumitt|
So this time, I reached out to Connie. Living on Chicago's Gold Coast, I don't always need a car, but I this Tweet-Up requires one. Cause let me tell you, my first Tweet-up I did 90% of the running around picking up raffles and swag bags items on the bus, walking and taxi. I was not trying to do that this time around.
So I thought I would reach out to Connie. They have another program that I love and I thought this would be a chance to give them some PR. GMC Our Town, Our Heroes is a wonderful program. It allows people to nominate individuals from their community that are making a difference. The winner gets a vehicle for a week and a $500.00 gift card. Here are the details....
Our Town, Our Heroes information:
- Our Town, Our Heroes is an Illinois-based program seeking to recognize and reward local heroes making a difference in their community.
- Each month, we feature nominated finalists and showcase them on DrivingtheMidwest.com for a two-week voting period.
- The public chooses the winner by voting for the hero they think is the most inspiring.
- The winning hero, and his or her nominator, wins a one-week loan of an all-new General Motors vehicle. The winning hero also receives a $500 gift card.
- Nominations are easy – submit a photo and a short description on why your hero inspires you on DrivingtheMidwest.com
Our Town, Our Heroes Program, I know there is someone that you know that is worth the recognition. There are so many unsung heroes, who do the work daily to help enrich the lives of others. I think it's great and GMC thinks so too.
I'm also honored that GMC/Chevy are partnering with me. Y'all know I am a tad provocative on Twitter and in this Blog, but my ministry is meeting people where they are at, right in their heart and gut. I'm always elated when a company does not mind attaching their brand to my work. At the core, there is still so much stigma around HIV/AIDS. When a brand supports my work, they are taking a stand against this stigma.
So let me tell you, I've been driving this wonderful Terrain Truck around all week, picking up the raffle prizes and all the goodies for the swag bags thanks to GMC. But guess what? You could also win a chance to drive around a GMC/Chevy Vehicle. YESSSS! The grand prize raffle at my Book Signing, Meet/Tweet-Up is a one week free use of a vehicle. You MUST be 21 to enter with an Illinois Driver's license. You MUST be there at the time of the drawing to win!
I have rules to enter and GMC/Chevy have rules to enter
RLT Rules--- All The Links Are Live... You can just click them there.
1. Follow on Twitter @ThisisGMC
2. Follow on Twitter @DrivingMidwest
3. Follow on Twitter @ConnieBurke
3. Follow on Twitter @DonnasCafe
4. Like on Facebook Our Town-Our Heros
5. Like on Facebook Donna's Cafe
5. At The Event you must take pictures and or video of the Terrain that will be parked in front of Donna's Cafe and Tweet, Instgram Facebook them. We want to know what you like best about the Terrinn AND what you think about them partnering with me/RLTEvent... I want some creativity Lovely's! The Hash Tags #GMCRLT #FightHIVStigma
You can ONLY enter after you have done all the above things the evening of the Tweet-Up and we will look... Event Details HERE!
1. You Must Be Twenty-One Years of Age.
2. You must have a current Illinois Drivers License
3. You will win a one-week loan of a General Motors vehicle. Please know vehicles are subject to availably
4. You must book your loan within six weeks of the event date August 25, 2012